Sunday, July 20, 2014

Media

So I came across this article on al-Jazeera:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/07/israel-media-strategy-2014716114935957662.html

In short, the author believes that Israel aims to use lies and deceit in order to promote its cause. At first it bothered me, but then I thought, isn't that what media is all about? Choosing the right words in order to convince your audience? So the author pointed this out, but really he wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know.

In the same context, I saw an article about the things that Hamas has told its activists to tell the media (I can't find the article now, but it said something about telling the world that all the people who were hurt are innocent civilians). So wait, are they lying? Or is this really what media is all about?

Sometimes I want to point out a news site that is obviously biased in some direction, but then I have to draw a line - because there is a difference between 'choosing your words' and actually lying. But then I realise that the difference is so subtle that I'm not sure that anyone can find it.

So eventually I reached one conclusion. Realise that there is no way to make writing objective.
So when you read, don't expect that you'll be receiving any perfect truth, and when you write, be sure that you are being honest with yourself and choosing words that best fit what you are trying to say. The reader will then decide if he wants to listen. That's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home