Sunday, June 15, 2014

On Thursday night, three teenage boys disappeared.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4530177,00.html

I try to put myself in their families' situation - the general idea is all too familiar. It's 11 o'clock at night, and I see that my 16 year old brother isn't home yet. So I wonder if I sould lock the door. Is he even coming back tonight? I can't remember. Maybe he's staying at school until tomorrow. Or maybe he's out with friends and will be back late. I'll text him, then. He doesn't reply. So do I wait? I text again. Then, being a big sister and all that, I start to worry. So I call. He doesn't answer. My stomach gets all jittery
But then I tell myself that I'm being stupid and he's probably just fine. He's with friends, he doesn't hear his phone, and who wants to call his big sister, anyway?
And in the morning, there he is - safe and sound.

But what if he weren't? It's every sister's nightmare. Not to mention a parent's nightmare, but I can't yet put myself in those shoes.

It's so, so close to home. My sister and brothers hitchhike all the time in that area - apparently these boys were waiting right where my sister usually catches a ride when she has to get to Jerusalem. And although I don't know them personally, I know friends and members of their family.

At this point, we know that they've been kidnapped - probably by Hamas (and not just some lunatic working on his own). The military and secret service are busy doing everything they can to get these kids home safely. The rest of us are praying.

The palestinia response makes me sick -
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4530177,00.html
(Never mind the Israeli report - I'm Israeli, so of course I'm biased - but the video is made by Palestinians, just watching it is enough.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home